Thursday, May 9, 2013

Lisztomania (Take 3)

Most of you on the list have already received your Christmas mix CD (only several months late, but oh well....) and those of you who haven't (Nina, Rob and Ginger) should get it very soon. In the meantime I'm going to post the list of what went on last year's edition, because I'll probably forget if I wait any longer. 

For those of you new to this game, every year I put together a mix CD for close friends, both at home and abroad. The friends at home all (OK, almost all) received theirs before Christmas but I was pretty bad about getting the overseas ones out as international postage is a bit pricey.

There are a couple of rules: no using artists or bands I have used before, but side projects and solo efforts are OK. No covers. I like to include at least 5 songs from albums released in the year that's just passed, and I try and include several Australian acts. There's usually also a few classic tracks, mostly from the late 70s and early 80s because I just eat that stuff up. Live versions are always fun, but that's not a hard and fast rule. It usually works out at about 15 tracks each year, about an hour long in total, because I think that's kind of a perfect length for a CD. Maybe that's because my commute is about an hour long....

You can see the CDs I made in other years here. 


2012 - A World Elsewhere

Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself
Peaches - Showstopper
Can - Mother Sky
Morrissey - The Last of the Famous International Playboys
Bertie Blackman - Mercy Killer
Alabama Shakes - Be Mine
Ball Park Music - Coming Down
The Kills - Pull A U
Cat Power - Cherokee
Clubfeet (feat. Chela) - Heartbreak
Goldfrapp - Number 1
The Naked and Famous - No Way
Lisa Mitchell - Bless This Mess
Something for Kate - Eureka
Paul Kelly - Cradle of Love

1 comment:

  1. You always open my ears to new wonderful music!!
    It's so great receiving these mix cd, FUCK YEAH THEY ARE AWESOME!! Love this year's cover! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like crack, please enable me.